« Home | "because, once alone, it is impossible to believe ... » | "having a sister or a friend is like sitting at ni... » | "for need can blossom into all the compensation it... » | "the quilt was warm and soft around my arms and sh... » | I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by... » | Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying t... » | Film will only became an art when its materials ar... » | "i had seen two of the apple trees in my grandmoth... » | TouchMy handsopen the curtains of your beingclothe... » | A poem, Paz thought, abolishes time. Or rather, tr... » 

07 January 2008 

"imagine that noah knocked his house apart and used the planks to build an ark, while his neighbors looked on, full of doubt. a house, he must have told them, should be daubed with pitch and built to float cloud high, if need be. a lettuce patch was of no use at all, and a good foundation was worse than useless. a house should have a compass and a keel. the neighbors would have put their hands in their pockets and chewed their lips and strolled home to houses they now found wanting in ways they could not understand."

housekeeping, p. 184