« Home | A virgin who talked in her sleep, my aunttaught me... » | Coda <!-- if (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(... » | Hermandad/Brotherhood Soy hombre: duro poco y e... » | Pablo Medina Three Fulcrums Dress Rehearsal Thi... » | Pablo Medina A Poem for the Epiphany Ach, wie and... » | Entrance <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[end... » | The Burning <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[e... » | "but sylvie had fallen silent again. guessing that... » | Days of 1903 I never found them again -- the thin... » | Voices Ideal and beloved voicesof those who are d... » 

11 December 2007 

A poem, Paz thought, abolishes time. Or rather, transforms it, and the world with it. And so the final stanza of "A Draft of Shadows" comes to mind, more precise in defining the man than any cluster of facts:

I am where I was:
I walk behind the murmur,
footsteps within me, heard with my eyes,
the murmur is in the mind, I am my footsteps,
I hear the voices that I think,
the voices that think me as I think them.
I am the shadow my words cast.