« Home | "having a sister or a friend is like sitting at ni... » | "for need can blossom into all the compensation it... » | "the quilt was warm and soft around my arms and sh... » | I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by... » | Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying t... » | Film will only became an art when its materials ar... » | "i had seen two of the apple trees in my grandmoth... » | TouchMy handsopen the curtains of your beingclothe... » | A poem, Paz thought, abolishes time. Or rather, tr... » | A virgin who talked in her sleep, my aunttaught me... » 

07 January 2008 

"because, once alone, it is impossible to believe that one could ever have been otherwise. loneliness is a discovery. when one looks from inside at a lighted window, or looks from above at the lake, one sees the image of oneself in a lighted room, the image of oneself among trees and sky - the deception is obvious, but flattering all the same. when one looks from the darkness into the light, however, one sees all the difference between here and there, this and that. perhaps all unsheltered people are angry in their hearts, and would like to break the roof, spine, and ribs, and smash the windows and flood the floor and spindle the curtains and bloat the couch."

marilynne robinson, p. 157-158